This post contains affiliate links. I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases, at no extra cost to you. Read the full disclosure here.
Last Updated on 30th May 2023 by Vicki
Hi everyone, in today’s tutorial I thought I would show you how to make pretty butterfly cake decorations. These look great on both cake and cupcakes. I like that you can make a realistic butterfly or create your own fantasy ones. You can also tailor them to go with the colour scheme of your cake.
What I Used To Make My Butterfly Cake Decorations
I used Renshaw Flower and Modelling Paste to make my butterflies. This is my go to paste when I need to make something that is quite thin. This is because as its flower paste too, it sets much harder and less likely to break. I also used a black modelling paste for the the centre of the butterfly. I decorated my butterflies with edible paints and dusts. As usual, there’s a list at the bottom of this post of all the items used in this tutorial.
To create the butterfly shape I used a butterfly plunger cutter. You can get these in various sizes. For the purpose of this tutorial, I used the largest one so you can see what I am doing easier.
How To Make Butterfly Cake Decorations Video Tutorial
So that’s how I make my butterfly cake toppers! I really hope that you found the tutorial useful. When attaching them to a cake, I like to use royal icing. This ensures they will stick to the cake and not get your butterfly too wet. You want to keep your butterfly dry to prevent it from breaking.
Items used To Make My Butterfly Cake Decorations
- Renshaw Flower and Modelling : https://tidd.ly/3Xu6edv
- Black The Modelling Paste : https://tidd.ly/3mGpyH3
- Sugarflair Purple Food Colouring Paste : https://tidd.ly/41nk3Mo (Used to colour the paste for my purple butterfly)
- PME Hot Pink Food Colouring Paste : https://tidd.ly/41iVOPJ (Used to colour the paste for my pink butterfly)
- Sugarflair Turquoise Food Colouring Paste : https://tidd.ly/42fgIyD (Used to colour the paste for my turquoise butterfly)
- Sugarflair Grape Violet Edible Dust : https://tidd.ly/3BYJgBM
- Fractal White Paint Pen : https://tidd.ly/3OGsw9W
- Sugarflair Navy Edible Dust : https://tidd.ly/3IOikZk
- Sweet Stick Paint Palette : https://tidd.ly/3N5jt1e
- PME Butterfly Plunger Cutter : https://tidd.ly/45yuuPz
- Clear alcohol (or an edible glue if you prefer)
- Clean brush to apply glue : https://tidd.ly/43weDPJ
- Dusting Brush : https://tidd.ly/3M0nHVX
- Home made former to shape the butterflies. (see video)
- Kitchen Towel
Above are affiliate links, where I may earn a small commission if you purchase via them. This is at no extra cost to you, but allows me to keep creating my tutorials. Thank you so much for your support.
Pin To Pinterest
If you liked this tutorial, why not save it for later? Hover or tap on the image below and hit the Pin It button! Tutorials are also always added to Pinterest, which you can follow here.